Custody Modifications in Minnesota

When there is a significant change in your circumstances, it may be possible to modify an already existing child custody order. This can come up in situations where one spouse has gained or lost a job, wishes to move away or in more severe situations where abuse is a problem.

For answers to your modification questions, consult with our attorneys at de Beer & Associates. You may reach our team online or call us directly at (651) 714-2378 for a free initial consultation in the Twin Cities area.

When Is a Custody Modification Allowed?

There are numerous circumstances that could call for a modification to your custody agreement. When a parent wishes to move out of state due to a new job or other life event, custody can be re-examined. Further, if one parent has lost or gained a job and now has a significantly different income level, a child may be better off with a modified agreement. Other examples that could call for a modification include medical emergencies, special needs of the child and even the child's wishes. The most important thing to remember is that a court will always look to what is best for the child first.

Whether you are wishing to enforce your current agreement, or you need to modify your situation to protect the best interests of your child, we can help.

Emergency Changes in Custody Agreements

If you are in a situation where your child is endangered, it is critical to speak with a family lawyer immediately regarding your options for protecting your child. There are numerous reasons that custody may need to be changed in an emergency situation, including:

  • Drug abuse
  • Alcohol abuse
  • Physical abuse
  • Verbal and emotional abuse
  • Addiction and other similar issues

If you fear for the safety of your child, it is important to act quickly in order to protect their best interests. Allow our team to explain your options and protect your family.

Learn More About Modifying Your Custody Agreement in Minnesota

Throughout the St. Paul and Minneapolis area, our Lake Elmo and Edina law offices help those who are in need of modifying their custody arrangements and those who wish to stop a modification. Consult with our lawyers by calling us at (651) 714-2378.