Interstate Divorce

The issues involved in divorce do not go away when you cross the border. In many cases, they become even more complicated. If you or your spouse is living in another state, it is important to have a lawyer on your side who has experience with interstate divorce.

At de Beer & Associates, we practice throughout the Twin Cities metro area, including communities like St. Paul and Woodbury that are 30 minutes or less from the Wisconsin border. We understand how to handle sensitive issues in interstate divorce and family law matters, including complex issues involving child custody and division of marital property.

Our attorneys are ready to assist you with all of your interstate divorce concerns. Call (651) 714-2378 for a free initial consultation.

The Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction And Enforcement Act (UCCJEA)

This law is crucial as it will decide where your child custody case will take place. Each state has a version of the UCCJEA, providing some level of consistency among the courts across various jurisdictions. We understand the complexities of UCCJEA and strive to achieve a favorable placement for our clients.

Does Your Spouse Live In Another State?

When one spouse lives in Minnesota and the other lives across the border, a number of issues will be considered to determine where the divorce should take place. While the divorce is eligible to take place in Minnesota if one of the spouses has lived there for at least 180 days, Minnesota may not be the only eligible jurisdiction.

In cases involving children, it is simpler. The divorce will usually take place in the state where the children live.

The Experience And Resources To Handle Your Interstate Divorce

In an interstate divorce, it is important to have an attorney on your side who is ready for anything and everything. At de Beer & Associates, we combine that with attentive personal service and a focus on achieving your unique goals. Contact us today to schedule a free initial consultation.